Friday, July 12, 2013

Sleepy spaces


I thought I would show you all some of my favorite bedrooms and talk about the perfect bed today because that is where I would like to be. A recent bout of insomnia is making for some tired, less-productive days.




One of the few places that I choose muted colors over vibrant is in bedrooms. I tend to go with very traditional furnishings too.

I am cool with decorative throw pillows but my sheets and pillow cases must be white and 100% cotton. I have even turned my husband into a bedding snob. Last year, in a classic non-label reading- Kerry-move, I accidentally bought sheets that were 50% poly. My husband was shocked and appalled. I tried really hard to pretend that I did not mind them at all and I meant to buy them. They pilled near our feet and were hot and uncomfortable. I finally pulled them off and threw them in with our pile of painting drop cloths in the basement.





Are you picky about your pillow or blankets? I used to sleep with a down comforter but its just overkill. I now have two thin cotton quilts and an electric foot warmer for the winter.



Is your bedroom dark and cave-like or light and bright? Mine is light and bright which is great when you are not trying to sleep but it stinks at 8 am on Saturday morning when the sun aligns perfectly with the space between the blinds and my left eye.


That's enough pillow talk for today. I think its almost nap time. Yay!

7 comments:

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Lovely rooms! For me, a calming room in color with a simple, clean decor make for a goods night sleep.
I hope you get some rest soon....

The Pink Pagoda said...

My bedroom is so very overdue for a redesign, but its not going to happen anytime soon. I want to do rooms I live in and see all day first. When I'm mostly asleep in there it could be mustard (my most disliked color) and I wouldn't care. Not to say that I don't want a beautiful bedroom -- I do -- it's just down the list. But yes, on the bedding. Has to be high quality cotton! Hope you get some better sleep this weekend!

Unknown said...

I prefer more understated colors in the bedroom but strangely enough my own bedroom is a vibrant jade green. And I like it. Agreed on bedding choices. Nothing tops white cotton. Hope you get some rest this weekend, Kerry!!

An Urban Cottage said...

I laughed out loud at the sun aligns perfectly in the space between the blinds. Funny how that happens!

I think I told you I'm a linen convert. I don't disagree with the thing but I think ivory is also okay but I've only recently come to that conclusion. I dream of a set of linen sheets from Rough Linen.

Stacey said...

These are all so romantic! My bedroom is so neglected and is next on my list to decorate. Beautiful spaces! Happy weekend and thank for your lovely comment on my kitchen reveal:-)

My Notting Hill said...

Those are some beautiful bedrooms. Agree w/you - love white sheets. Hope you get some good zzzzs soon.

home before dark said...

I have chosen the smallest of our five bedrooms as our bedroom. We're empty nesters and don't need a huge."getaway apartment" I think it helps not to have TV/computer in a bedroom. While I love color, our bedroom is a creamy white with upholstered walls. It feels like a cocoon and I love it. I like bamboo sheets and a silk-filled comforter with duvet no top sheet.