Monday, July 29, 2013

A Saturday in old town Fredericksburg


Art First Gallery on Caroline St.

 I was sitting in the Art First Gallery on Saturday really wishing I could go for a walk about town. Old Town Fredericksburg is about 15 minutes from where I live and I end up here quite often.
The historic buildings and their charm had me hooked the first time I came here.




The boutiques, restaurants and antique stores lure me here enough but when I can't spare the time I love looking at the details of the old buildings.







Fredericksburg sits to the south of the Rappahannock river and many of these gorgeous homes sit on a small bluff overlooking the river. Kind of my dream house!

Kenmore

George Washington grew up across the river and his sister Betty, lived here at Kenmore plantation, which is really in the middle of downtown at this point.
I have yet to visit Kenmore or the other Washington homes here.

I have visited a few other Fredericksburg institutions like Goolrick's pharmacy. Its a total throwback with a lunch counter and soda fountain. I think they actually fill prescriptions too.


Everyone goes to Carl's ice cream in the summertime. Its a standard for first dates.


I love living here.
Do you live somewhere awesome too?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a charming town, and a lovely uong! Carl's is the best! When my brother comes to DC from Va. Beach he stops there with his cooler and brings us all some! Hope gallery sitting was fun.
xo Nancy

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

This is so darn charming! I love all of this quaintness.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

So charming....was fortunate to have spent an afternoon there years ago on one of our travels around Virginia!

An Urban Cottage said...

It's unanimous. Charming is the word!

Vel Criste said...

Would love to visit that town too someday Kerry, glad you gave me wonderful tour already! In out town, there are a lot of old houses and brick paved roads still that I love going to again and again. :-)

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Great photos! Reminds me of how I've been wanting to get back there for a day trip!