Friday, July 5, 2013

Almost totally thrifted

The tray from West Elm is one of only a few new things in my living room.
Hope y'all had a great 4th of July!
I was thinking about a post on thrifting and it dawned on me that my formal living room is almost entirely bought second hand in shops or on eBay. I inherited a couple of items and only a few were bought new.
It can be done with patience and lots of searching.


This little X-bench is from Target and I recovered it in a piece of Brunschwig's Le Lac that I scored on eBay.
I inherited the Persian rug and this antique French child's chair.


It has only recently become a bit too fragile for kids. I have many fond memories of this chair from my childhood.


This bombe chest was a local antique store find for under $350 because the marble top has a crack, all the better if you ask me.


The Sheraton style sofa is my favorite thrifting score of all time. It had just arrived from an estate and was marked at only $350! I was really suspicious of flaws (smells) at that price but it was in perfect condition and is a very high-end piece.


This Korean case was only $15 at the Salvation Army. It makes a great end table and if I get tired of looking at it I won't feel guilty in sending it away.


I purchased a pair of these chairs on eBay and then had them recovered, making them the most expensive items by far but they are super comfy.


Many of the accessories were thrifted.
I did buy new drapes and hardware, as well as, table lamps.

The chandelier is from eBay Curtains and hardware are new
The wall color is Sherwin-Williams Faint Coral and this whisper of pink is my favorite part of the room.

Why so many thrifted and antique things? Well, the first answer is easy, budget. I either haven't had or wished to spend thousands on a single piece. The second part of that answer has more to do an appreciation of the imperfect. You should see my husband! Ba-dum-bum! Sorry, I had to do say it.
 In my eyes nothing is all that great if it doesn't have a little wear on it. Too much newness looks vulgar to me. I like patina and its offered without a premium in second-hand stores.




2 comments:

Karena said...

Kerry your living room looks all high end! You have an excellent eye. We are the same in loving an aged patina; I am just not into the shabby, chippy style.

xoxo
Karena
2013 Design Series!

Price Style & Design said...

I love your Target x-bench re-do! I did one a while back on the same bench! I love a kindred spirit!