Monday, November 26, 2012

My daughter-my client

My 15 year-old daughter has been aching to give her bedroom a new look. She chose white paint for her walls when we painted a year and a half ago and really regretting that decision. When one's daughter is the client it seriously complicates the already slippery slope of guiding a clients choices.
Here is where we are.

Custom curtains on Etsy

Budget and practicality are major concerns but also the fact that she will be off to college in a few years and I will be using many of these items as the guest room decor at that point.
I think we have settled on chevron curtains. This is the girl who wanted cheetah print curtains a few months ago so I am breathing a huge sigh of relief.
I might try to "guide" her to this Greek key pattern instead.

Here
She was leaning towards several bedding sets from Target--totally budget friendly.

HERE
She has toyed with the idea of a plain white comforter too.
Given the high fickle factor it is a wise choice.
She wants to add yellow, gray and black elsewhere. It was red and orange two weeks ago. See what I mean?

We have this Ikea Ektorp loveseat and I could get out of buying more yellow and gray pillows by giving her the pillows that I have in my family room.


If I can unload my pillows on her I will get these.
Things are getting too matchy-matchy in the family room.


All in all, I like this plan.


10 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That is something I could live with for my teen, too. Now she wants purple. I don't want purple.

Unknown said...

We have the perfect custom roman shade for her at our tag sale! Make us an offer, and tell us your measurement! It matches the Waverly Cross Section pillow you have-- have fun planning and hope one sticks.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Kristie said...

Great choice of colors. I love the yellow with the grey. :)

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Aren't teenage girls fun? My 13 year old is so unlike me. She wants plain black bedding in her room and that's all. I swear if I hadn't given birth to her I would wonder how she got into this family! I love the Target bedding - and the greek key panels! Hope she sill likes it all next week.

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Woodside Park said...

Oh I'd love to decorate a teen's bedroom! The Suzani bedding is very cool. Perhaps you can paint a special piece as the pièce de résistance?

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Oh what fun! I go for the idea of changing out pillows as her colors "change"! I love the Greek Key pattern.
My Dad had a great saying:

"THE JOYS OF RAISING A FAMILY"!

Vel Criste said...

I'm loving your mood board Kelly! Yellow and grey is something I truly love (just take a look at my living room!), I think this is a room that can grow with her and will transition well once she's off to college. :-)

StagerLinda said...

Love your mood board! It's perfect! I think Nancy is right about her roman shade--fingers crossed that it will work for you. She'll love it-even if she changes her mind in before the install.

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your daughter's room will look fantastic! I can't wait to see photos when you finish. I've been working on my 15 year old daughter's bedroom and can easily sympathize. Oh my.

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

these all good options that you can't go wrong with. Much better than the super heros, and random pieces of art and paper my 7 year old son has in his room. Such an eye sore, but he's happy with it.