Monday, November 5, 2012

Cool art term Monday- ormolu

This art term relates as much to design as art. Ormolu means golden or gilded brass or bronze used for decorative purposes (as in mounts for furniture) and is derived from the French moulu meaning ground gold.

There are so many examples of this type of ornament on furniture and decorative accesories.

I was told by an antique specialist that it was also known as mercury-gilding and the process made the gilders go mad, much like hatters, from the mercury.
Last year I passed up this amazing ormolu corner chest because I had no where to put it.

It is a bit more fanciful than most things I like but I am kind of kicking myself.

Ormolu is is one of those things that is a thumbs or a thumbs down. Which one are you?


charmaine said...

Learned something new today. Thank you! Thumbs up for me.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

A new word. Ormolu! Thanks.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

First of all let me say that this is the first of your art term series that I actually knew. I'm feeling very smart today, and I give it an emphatic thumbs up - in small doses, though.

Kristie Franklin said...

I really like the looks of this on small items. I'm not sure I'd like it on a large piece of furniture though. I guess it would depend on what the piece is and where you would place it. :)

Nancy said...

Im not much for ornamentation and am more of a contemporary girl, so it's not for me. I can totally appreciate it's beauty and all that is involved, though!
xo Nancy

StagerLinda said...

Bring on the bling, Baby! I had no clue what is was called. One statement piece would be fine.

Vel Criste said...

Thumbs up! But probably in small doses only for me, can't believe you walked away from that table!!! Thanks for the info on Ormolu!