Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Let's talk

I saw this quote and thought, "really?"
True style has the chance to emerge when you stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, will think, or might say.

I love an ounce of fearlessness in decor but total abandon without regard what looks good just ends up in a jumble.

 I do not live by myself or with five other design bloggers, I live with people. People with opinions and if left to their own devices my house would have medium blue walls which would be lined with recliners, Christmas lights, and knock about furniture.


I think good looking, functional interiors need to be carefully put together considering the needs and comfort of it's inhabitants. Personalization makes it fantastic but needs to be kept in check.


Remember this wonderful use of children's art and photos? It works because the color palette is simple. If you were to start adding yellow chairs because you like yellow and the four needlepoint pillows that Grandma gave you it would begin to be less cohesive. Conversely, this little setup would be very bland without the varied works of art.


I know many people like this image (above) but I think it is full of too many disparate objects.

Tell me what you think. Is there such a thing as a home that is too personalized?
I'll be announcing the giveaway winner later today so check back if you entered.

7 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I don't like that last image! Yes, the key to much of design is compromise because so few people DO live alone! Do you ever notice that many of the apartments in magazines are the most outrageous - mostly because these are people living alone! haha. The houses are always much more tasteful.

Woodside Park said...

Kerry and Stefan: I agree with you both!! So true. Even with my shop, I try not to buy things that are too personalized....things that no one else would "get" except me. I think a gracious home should be welcoming and pleasing for many.
Loi

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I completely agree with you! Loi your comment was right on the money! The last picture turned me off, but the one above it was simply lovely and welcoming. I got a big chuckle at the first two rooms!!!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I'm with Loi. I want to love being in my house, but I want my family to be happy, too. And while I'm not all caught up in what others think, I do want guests to enjoy being in my house.

Kristie said...

I agree that first image is way to colorful and has a junky feel to it. I agree with you and don't want people to come into my house and be so confused by what is in it that they are overwhelmed. HA

I have a simple and easy style. I like the pendant lighting and the clock (because my eyesight is not what it used to be HAH) in the bottom photo but don't think that the layout is very user friendly. I don't like the red and green chairs??

Vel Criste said...

Wow, never really thought about this Kerry, but you make a very good point on this. anything too much, wether in design or even in eating, is always bad. So small doses of something avoids a "theme-y" type of space.

Unknown said...

Its a compromise for sure. I love this post. The thought of a home decorated by 5 design bloggers! what fun.
Everything in moderation I usually say, but in decor, a pop of something bold is what delineates everyone's tastes from the boring norm.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com