Monday, November 12, 2012

Fool proof floor covering for the indesicsive


Sometimes in decorating, when I am stumped as to what would look best once other choices have been made, I choose the safest, neutral route. Its part laziness, part fear.
The only category that this does not apply to is rugs. While I like a good seagrass floor covering, the ones I gravitate towards are not so much neutral as versatile.


I love Persian rugs because they seemingly go with everything.


They are an obvious choice in a traditional room.

 I have Hamadan like this in my entryway that is very trad.


One of my favorite places to see them is in a kitchen. They are super durable and add a bit of padding for the weary feet of the home chef. I love the way they warm up and soften all of the hard surfaces in a kitchen and in my case, help to hide ugly flooring to a small degree.


Persian rugs look like they belong even in the most modern and contemporary styled rooms.


I have been seeing them lately in nurseries and I love how they keep things from being too sweet but still cozy.


I generally prefer Persian rugs that have an orangey-red as the main color but the wonderful thing about them is the variety of colors in each make it hard to go wrong.
Newly-made versions can be had at almost every home store but if you are a snob, like me and must have the real thing, eBay is a budget friendly choice albeit with risk.

This rug still had a low bid as of Sunday morning.
My tips for buying rugs on eBay are first to only buy from a seller with a very good (99.8-100%) rating and ask lots of question about color and condition.

9 comments:

My Notting Hill said...

Seagrass is always safe and Iove it too. Your post is a good reminder to venture out a bit!

Woodside Park said...

I am loving oriental rugs again. Especially the really faded antique ones. I don't even mind the holes.
Love your new photo!

Kristie said...

I love them too! I have one in my living room that I would never part with. Depending on the light in the room if you turn the rug one way it has more of a sheen that shows and if you turn it the other way it has a more matte look. Either way you it's gorgeous! :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love them, too. I just bought 2 Turkish ones. I am about to do a post on how you cannot trust the eBay ratings.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

HOW DID THE SHOW GO IN VIRGINIA BEACH?

Love the rugs....have one that is a treasure from my Grandmother's home...I can't for the life of me find a home for it in the BLH...

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Hey Kerry! Have you been to my blog today? I just posted about antique rugs myself - seems we're on the design thread. And I couldn't agree with you more - I love these highly patterned colorful rugs because they're bulletproof and they seem to go with everything! Happy Monday!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice post! They are always classic.. What I haven't seen is these layered over jute/seagrass lately! I love the orange tones, too.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Have you bought an antique rug online? I have been a little afraid to. I would love to have one and the prices are better on eBay.

Wendy C said...

Lovely to see your post. I have acquired turkish & persian rugs over many years. One of my favourites is a hamadan that i have in my bedroom & call "my happy rug"! It has pink & aqua blue in its design.And after 30 years I still love it!
i worry that they're too busy & old school.... but still they're here!