Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A fox, a hound and a horse walk into a room.


Yesterday, I posed the question "Is there such a thing as too much personalization?"


I have got another question. First, let me tell you about a house I was in many years ago.
The house very nice, modest in size but nothing else. Everything was very expensive and the owners were avid riders and enjoyed fox hunts.

The equestrian and fox hunt related items were everywhere in every room.


From plush foxes in riding attire (which always struck me as being like Bugs Bunny dressed in hunting camo, I digress) to fabrics and display porcelain.


Oddly, it did not seem theme-y but still rather one note.


I am not picking on equestrian style. I am majorly in love with that look but even if it does not come across as a theme room can it be too much?
Can having one style or rather, everything in a space reflecting an esoteric look make for a bad design?
For instance, if one room was decorated entirely with Chinoiserie pieces would it be a classic or does it need a style foil to balance things?


Tell me what you think.

3 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

I think it's easier to overdo a theme/style than not. An art to get it perfect.

Kristie said...

I agree with An Urban Cottage. I would think it would get old after a while to look at the same theme throughout a house. :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

A person is more complex than simply one note -so should their house be. Otherwise it's "overly done" in my opinion.