Thursday, December 22, 2011

Waste not, want not

My dining table
As you can see, I am not quite finished with my Christmas table yet.
I can tell you that I was fretting a little about a centerpiece.
The footed brass compote has found a permanent home on the table and I wanted to keep it there but its size meant that it would require a lot of flowers to fill.
It is just my husband and three kids here this year and while it sounds kinda stingy, I just didn't want to spend $50 on flowers for the table.
Into the compote went an upside down cereal bowl to elevate the pineapple and a bag each of small lemons and key limes.
I added a few sprigs from the shrubs out front and, Voila!
Less than $10 and none will be wasted. 
I will juice and freeze the lemons and key limes in amounts of one tablespoon in ice trays and of course we will eat the pineapple.

5 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

Looks beautiful, tastes great! What's better than that?

Ivy Clad said...

That's the great thing about getting nature to do your decorating: it can be economical & still look so rich and beautiful!

Merry Christmas!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It looks really great!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

also -what if after you get rid of the fruit you fill it with pinecones? That would be cute!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Well your off to an amazing start, I love the centerpiece!
Merry Christmas!!!
~R