Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mantel refresher

New understated look

Lately my mantel has been trying on new looks to cover the "hole" or TV niche that I find beyond tacky and totally useless.

Mickey, you have been painted over
This painting was the first large painting I did for myself and is, admittedly,  pretty bad.
I heard things like its an elephant, Andre the giant, and Mickey Mouse. Mickey had to go.

I put this painting by Jenny at MFAMB in front of it for awhile.


To be honest all of the color was getting on my nerves. The room began to have juvenile, circus-ey feel. So out it went as soon as I needed a spot for this...

"Being There" by Kerry Steele
This painting just needs a spot until I sell it. My family loves it but it really did not work with the feel of my family room. So out IT went and I got to painting over Mickey.


The resulting look is so completely different than all of its predecessors that it makes me laugh but I am liking it for now.
 Speaking of mantels and my work, have you seen the painting I did for Jennifer of The Pink Pagoda?


She did a beautiful job of styling it in her gorgeous home.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun to interchange pieces like that! I'm liking the understated, too! Congrats on the piece for TPP. She did a fantastic job with it in the room, and it looks great!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Anonymous said...

I like the re-make of Mickey, great colors. :)

The Pink Pagoda said...

I like the understated, but color makes me happy. And your painting over the mantel makes me giddy!

Woodside Park said...

It must be wonderful to change out artwork when you want. Lucky and talented you!! I LOVE the painting over at Pink Pagoda. And, I love your piece over the mantel now....you know I adore understated.
L

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Kerry, you did such a great job with Jennifer's painting. I saw the way you shipped it, very handy of you. I agree with Loi. How nice to change are so often. And I am not sorry to see Mickey go.

Kim said...

Kerry, the piece you did for Jennifer is stunning! you are so talented and lucky to be able to change out your art on a whim! I could be happy with any of them ... although I like the "new" Mickey best!!

Kim said...

Kerry, the piece you did for Jennifer is stunning! you are so talented and lucky to be able to change out your art on a whim! I could be happy with any of them ... although I like the "new" Mickey best!!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Beauty all the way around! Now, if only I had a fab collection like yours to pull from!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com