Sunday, February 12, 2012

In search of birdbaths ** updated**

Is this Baccarat?

My husband and I have been on a bit of a bubbly kick. 
Three evenings in a row we sampled different proseccos, Italian sparkling wine.
We really like Moet et Chandon but it is a bit much for an any old time cocktail.
We prefer the coupe style glass, or birdbath, to the flute.

Cheapie flutes on the left
I own five birdbath crystal glasses that I could swear I was told are Baccarat.They are really lovely and while I am a firm believer in using fine things if you have them, I am am reluctant to use these on an everyday basis.

We have been using my super cheap flutes that I bought for a buck a piece for a party that never happened. I have no problem using the nicer flutes it's just that we would rather use coupes.
That brings me to my Valentine's day gift idea.
The impossible to shop for husband of mine will be getting new or vintage birdbaths if I can find them in the next 48 hours.
Wish me luck!
Do you use  "the good stuff" regularly?
** UPDATE 13 FEB**
 Yesterday I found a vintage set of four birdbaths at an antique shop. The dealer must wanted to git rid of them because they were marked down to $5!  SCORE!
I wrapped them up for Valentine's day along with an antique book and a vintage monogrammed box just in time to hear my husband open the garage door, that's why I have no pics.

4 comments:

Karena said...

Oh yes, at this point in life I LOVE to use the good crystal, linens etc. You could write arts and antiques and send an image of your birdbath!!They will know... Cheers and Happy Valentines!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Anonymous said...

I've never heard the word "birdbaths" before for coupes, what fun! Until recently no and then I thought, who am I keeping my good things for so now, I do.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard the word "birdbaths" either. I'm glad you were able to find a set for husband. I have a gorgeous set of crystal wineglasses that I never use...I'm so afraid of breaking them.

A lot of good they will do me when I'm dead! LOL LOL

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I have also never heard birdbath. Looking forward to the photo.