Thursday, January 5, 2012

What is this?


Yesterday I went to a local thrift store for some vintage plates that match my grandmother's. They were there before X-mas and over priced but I changed my mind.
Alas, no plates but I brought home this mystery chest.


It is about 21 inches high and has three small drawers along the top and a flip down panel on the front.
The interior and the back are papered with writing (see first photo) that I think is Korean but I am not sure.


There is another recessed drawer inside.
I found it charming.
It needs a little TLC.
It is missing a back ogee leg and there are a few chips in the veneer that would look much better with a touch up.


The confusing part is this hasp lock. It was detached and inside the piece but the holes don't line up.
As you can see the escutcheon plates on the lock line up and seem to fit.


This is the bit that closes the hasp. It has very faint engraving on it.
I did a quick search for information but I think this might require more time. 
My guess is that it is no more than 40 years old.

Anyone know about this sort of thing?

4 comments:

Karena said...

Kerry I have a similar one which I have had about 30 Years and purchased at Ethnics Folk Art Gallery. I am sure it is a reproduction.

It is a Korean Chest and my lock for the hasp was not with it so I wind a tassel around it to keep the flip down panel closed.

Other than that I really don't have other info which I would like to have as well.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I think a tassel would be very pretty. I'll let you know if I get any info on it.

Anonymous said...

I'd say you picked up a great find! A little TLC and I think you'll have a great piece! You never know what you will find when you go thrifting!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I like that....are you going to paint it?