Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A most infuriating mantel


Fall 2011

 I spent this early morning scouring Pinterest for ideas for my mantel. It is a most infuriating spot.
It is only 6 1/2 inches deep but more annoying is the hole.
Painting covers "THE HOLE"
I have a large painting in front of this abomination. It was for the purpose of housing a TV. Yuk!
I can't just drywall over it because it houses the wireless internet connection for the house and several electrical outlets.
The whole mess makes it difficult to "dress".

So here is a taste of what I found on Pinterest.

I prefer symmetry in formal settings but my mantel is in a casual space.



I am drawn towards feminine collections and pretty things but that just wouldn't suit my space.


A collection of oddities seems more appropriate.
I had to include this
No guts, no glory. The mantel above gets my vote for most creative and I really love it.

Here are a few more.



I am open to suggestions.
I should also add that the ceiling above my goofy mantel is angled, 9 feet high on the left and 18 feet to the right.
Ugh.

5 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I know you are handy, have you thought of building out the shelf? As for the hole, I have seen creative ways to hide thermostats and such...not sure how big it is? Good luck, I'll check back for the results. How are the drapes coming?

My Notting Hill said...

I like the painting. I noticed in your banner that there was a round plate at one point. The round shape seems to work there. Is there a way to put the painting off center while still covering the "hole" and then use a large round plate or to balance it off. Maybe the off center placement in the reverse direction of your lower/higher ceiling height could balance that too.
Looking forward to seeing what you do.

An Urban Cottage said...

I think I'd be forced to find a new place for the electronics and seal that baby up. Make it a time capsule. And then I'd add another layer on top of the mantel to widen it a few inches.

Anonymous said...

I love the last photo for the bohemian look it presents but my favorite is image# 6. I just don't even know what to tell you! I don't know what I would do if I had to hide a hole above the mantel.

The hole presents quite a challenge even for the best of designers. I am very confident that you will come up with something to fit that mantel that will be perfect!

Karena said...

I actually like the painting over the mantle. Mine is also very narrow. The collage might make me crazy because I would always be adjusting and rearranging etc!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena