Thursday, January 12, 2012

Foyer is a dirty word

I have opinions. They may be unnecessarily arbitrary but I have them.

 

I hate the word "foyer". Whether you say foyer or foyay, it annoys me.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Entry hall works for me. So that is what I say.

Pinned Image

It sounds rather grand  to refer to it as a "hall" but even functional, mudroom type rooms can be described this way.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Some people say entryway. Which is OK I guess.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
A favorite of mine

Pinned Image

I think all entry halls should have something functional and attractive even if it is not the everyday way in and out of the house.

Pinned Image

In my own house we come in and out through the garage mostly. The front door is used less often because it doesn't make sense to use it when you park a car in the garage.

Pinned Image

In our entry hall we have many decorative items but some serve a purpose. A table with a drawer and  a lamp and "key bowl" on top.

Pinned Image

An oriental carpet protects the hardwood floor.

Pinned Image

A chair is always handy as a place to put on shoes or temporarily dump a coat.

Pinned Image

So, kind readers, I ask that you change your vocabulary. Nix that silly word and call it what it is,
An entry.

1 comment:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Whatever you call it...it is on my list of Home Goals! It needs attention.