Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An old flame


There are so many well-know motifs in textile that I truly love and few I hate, but only one that has me on the fence.
I can't decide if I really like flame stitch or find it ugly. This is an odd way to feel about fabric, I know, but flame stitch and I go way back.

That's me with the lopsided pigtails in a flame stitch dress. Check out Mrs. Tackerell's groovy get up.
I vaguely recall hating that dress and suddenly one day, probably picture day, deciding I loved it.


It has that dusty, old castle feel but the geometric quality lends it to more modern applications.

Ok, I definitely like this
I can't help but think of the less-than -appealling attire of the 1970's, that may be in style again but I just can't stomach some of it.


I have decided to bite the bullet, albeit in a small way, an embrace the flame.
As soon as I can lay my hands on a yard or two in a good colorway, I will make myself a table runner for the dining room.


I was thinking a tartan but it is just too obvious a choice.
What do you think? Is flame stitch a yay or nay?

1 comment:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I think a touch of flame stich will be great! And as you say -it's less obvious than a plaid for your dining room. Let us know!