Monday, April 30, 2012

One and a bit

"Royals furled" 32 x 36 on cotton by Kerry Steele
This is an abstract that I finished this weekend. It is on clear primed canvas and there is about a two inch margin on all sides where the fabric color and texture are visible. The muddy looking spot on the bottom left is a spot I readied and later signed.

Yesterday I started sketching out a figure on my raw silk canvas.
preliminary lines for painting
The raw silk is gray and it is a basket weave. I was not expecting such a loose weave when I ordered it and had to double it and use coat after coat of clear gesso. The result is somewhat like trying to paint on a sidewalk, there is a lot of  "tooth".
My intention is to paint a version of this style nude that my grandmother painted.
I hope this painting on raw silk works out. Other fabrics and tonal paintings are on my list to do soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of painting on raw silk? That is very interesting. I really like the first image. The colors are gorgeous together! Even though I'm not a real big fan of yellow it works beautifully in your design!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

So beautiful, Kerry - and I didn't realize that artists gene ran through your family. Your grandmother's painting is beautiful!

An Urban Cottage said...

I really like that first painting. You're really established a great depth of space in it.

Unknown said...

Great job Kerry, it turned out so nice! love the materials, and how the nude is looking so far!
say hi to Helen for me!
Nancy
powellbrowerhome.com

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

...and just like that, you paint. Fantastic, an I never heard of painting on raw silk, either.

Woodside Park said...

Hi Kerry - I've actually painted on linen (with similar open weave) before, and it was so difficult. Love your abstract painting. I am fairly new to your blog, but do want to say Congrats! I admire your talents.
Cheers,
Loi
Tone on Tone

Woodside Park said...

PS - I just added you to my blog list, and found you on Pinterest. Have fun on Pinterest....it's so addictive :-)
Loi