Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Matisse inspired table setting


I was playing around with table settings and my new tablecloth and was reminded of the Fauvist style work by Matisse.
The Metropolitan Museum of art defines Fauvism as "Fauvism was the first of the avant-garde movements that flourished in France in the early years of the twentieth century. The Fauve painters were the first to break with Impressionism as well as with older, traditional methods of perception. Their spontaneous, often subjective response to nature was expressed in bold, undisguised brushstrokes and high-keyed, vibrant colors directly from the tube"



This table setting is my nod to Matisse. I am loving the cheerful colors and I just don't care that its not autunmal or Puritanical but then neither am I.


 



Who is inspiring your Thanksgiving table?

10 comments:

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

So beautiful! Thank you for helping me think outside the "autumn" box!

Kim said...

I love that you are not Puritanical or Autumnal!! Thank you for the little art lesson as well as a beautiful setting! xo

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE Kerry!

Karena said...

Kery I love your Matisse inspired table. The colors sing for me and your china with those gorgeous borders are perfection!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

Funny, I've been inspired by affordability, ikea, what I can already have. So, my table is kind of plain and simple and shades of white, silver and green. I was just thinking I should pick up some pumpkins or orange roses--but put them back because I'm just not feeling "literal" either.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Windlost said...

Beautiful. I think it's JOYful and that is all that matters. LOVE it. Very inspired darling, as are you.

xo Terri

StagerLinda said...

Love Matisse and his colors. Grand tablescapes! Happy Thanksgiving!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

What a beautiful tablecloth...it does have a Matisse feel...

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your table is gorgeous, Kerry! I love your table cloth and you china and together they are perfect! I can't imagine ever creating a tabletop that went traditionally autumnal. I wouldn't like it a bit and it would look so bad in my house!

Unknown said...

Lovely Kerry! Matisse certainly inspires me whenever I see his work. I hope your holiday was wonderful. Tell us how J liked his room! Did you have to drive him back to school? Have a great week. xo Nancy