Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I was absent that day

I was dreadfully sorry that I did not post a"cool art term Monday" yesterday.
Next week, for sure.
 Truthfully, wretched Fall allergy Sunday prevented it and Monday was crazy catch up day for me.
I am just going to show you a few things that have moved me lately and humbled my sense of art knowledge. 

Joan Mitchell

I fell into the "I already know it" trap. My grandmother taught art history and my first year and a half of college was spent in that major but I had very little instruction  about the post modern movements.

Joan Mitchell

I doubt that I have anything profound to add to that discussion but to the modern art haters, I must ask does this not conjure something? Disgust? Perhaps an odd confusion? A sensory memory?



Does art like this annoy you with its simplicity or vagueness?


I have nothing against representational art, in fact, I admire a great deal of it, but it is these bits and expanses of color without form that intrigue me. I wonder, why does this remind me of the scent of lemons or fresh tires? Often I do not know where the fond association lies.


I wish that I had stayed on for the post modernist discussion in college or that I had my grandmother to mull it over with.
I challenge each reader to seek out a new bit of art that is, maybe out of your beautiful /comfort zone, and find something interesting, if not good, to associate it with and DO TELL.

4 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That's a great challenge. I get scared when buying art. I just don't know if it will work.

Unknown said...

Im not sure what it is that strikes me about contemporary art. It is color combinations for sure, but also shape. I love that last black and white one, for some reason. It is great design as it encompasses the entire canvas but simple and dignified. Hope your allergies are at bay!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I have no education in Art. If an art piece catches my eye ....that's what matters!
Now....that black and white piece catches my eye!!!

An Urban Cottage said...

I think you just found two budding Franz Kline fans!

I don't think I need to tell you I love this stuff. Love Joan Mitchell.