Monday, October 22, 2012

Cool art term Monday- scumbling


Scumbling is much more than a fun word to say, it is a useful technique in both drawing and painting.
It refers to a sort of dry brush or scribble technique that aids in natural looking shading.


Scumbling is best done with a firm or coarse brush. The paint is scrubbed in, often over another layer in a different color.
It might seem like a new-fangled thing but in fact, Rembrandt often employed this technique.


Scumbling creates fantastic atmosphere, texture and light variations.


If you are interested this is a video illustrating the technique.


8 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

This looks like something I do without trying.

Woodside Park said...

Hey there - I love your guest post at TPP :) Thanks for sharing some of your favorites. Love your newest abstract for Jennifer!

designchic said...

What a beautiful technique. Can't wait to see more of your paintings!!

Kristie said...

I like this technique. It adds interest and texture to a painting. While I can't paint anything worth a hoot, I think I could do this! HA

Unknown said...

good job! Hope all is well. Have a great week.
xoNancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

An Urban Cottage said...

I took a watercolor workshop in Vermont one summer and one of the ladies came with her 8-year-old grandson Alex to paint for the week. When the teacher was talking about scumbling, Alex interrupted and asked "Did you say scum ball?!"

It was really funny.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Thanks Kerry for all your wonderful educational posts. I learn something new and interesting on each Post.

StagerLinda said...

I love that you taught me a new word and technique "scumling". Love the way it adds texture and dimension in a painting.