Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Where things have gone awry...or not


Most of us design junkies love an eclectic mix, with maybe a bit of bohemian vibe.
I thought I would have fun today and show you a few spaces that missed the mark, in my opinion.


Afghan, suzani, slipcovers, accent wall, rustic table, clutter, lots of pillows and abstract art. This room is just a mess. In my opinion. I am sure it makes someone very happy.


Some of you may like this but I am just not feelin' it.


Note the fake flowers hanging from the ceiling. The chairs are lovely though.
I suppose other's opinions of our houses don't really matter since we are the ones living in them but I can't help to wonder if these pictures were posted with pride. 
It could be argued that the level of personalization of these spaces is so specific that it is a given that most would not find it appealing. 
That leads me to the question: Does a room created with with the occupants in mind automatically equate to good design?
If not, where is the line between good taste and personal indulgence?

4 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

With some editing, these rooms could work for me. I think your home should represent who you are...until it is time to sell! Then, make it as generic as possible.

An Urban Cottage said...

Hobo style always looks very college apartment to me but the third one is really funny. It's granny hobo.

Kristie said...

I believe your home should reflect who you are and what you love. You can't live in a house that doesn't represent you, it doesn't work. In the end it really doesn't matter to anyone but you. I say decorate with what you love. :)

I also believe that when selling your home you do have to make it generic to appeal to prospective buyers...the wrong wall color, clutter and general appearance of the house will either make or break a sale. :)

The Pink Pagoda said...

Interesting things to ponder. I agree with the comments that your house should make you happy. The interiors above would have my ADD working overtime, however. And I'm such a Debbie Downer. When I see those fake flower things and the like all I can think about is dust!