Friday, August 10, 2012

Spoonflower fun


I have been daydreaming about covering a Bergere that is in my 15 year-old daughter's room, undoubtedly covered in clothes at the moment.
My first idea was to get some suitable white fabric and paint it in some sassy way.
Then I had that "Duh!" moment when I thought of Spoonflower and taking an existing painting of mine to create fabric.

OK, so bear with me for the "could you die" moment, its farther down. Scroll crazily, if you must.

"Satsuki rain" by Kerry Steele 2012

This is the painting Satsuki rain, now sold, that surprised me with its fun result in mirror image.
I am hooked on the mirror option because if you use one of the other basic or brick repeats of your design there can be an obvious line if the colors do not match along the edges. As you can see below.

 Compare that to the mirror of the same.

the color on this is massively off...I guess I need to retake the photo

The mirror can make for some crazy looking stuff too. It is best when your image is large and you must check the views in 1 and 2 yard view to get a realistic idea of how it will look.

"Pregnant with helen" by Kerry Steele 2012

I also used this painting in a mirror repeat and you can see in this view below how one yard would look.



Basically, every painting that seemed so cool to make into a fabric was dud and the ones I was skeptical of, delighted me.

My preppy painting turned into a psychedelic, preppy look, LOL!

"Patrician plan" by Kerry Steele 2012

Well, now I've done it and fallen into the Spoonflower hole. I designed a few chinoiserie fabrics and tweaked the colors. I loved that one so much that I ordered a sample. I will do a tutorial of how I did it soon. I promise! Feel free to remind me if I forget. I'd do it now but the thing is involved and its late folks.

This is the third iteration of colorway for "Escher pagoda"
It goes with this detail of one of my grandmother's paintings, although it is unrecognizable.



If it it wasn't my own work I might say something like, "I just died!!" "Holy Escher pagoda world!"


Actually, I named this fabric "Escher pagoda" after the famous stairs that create optical illusions by the famed M.C. Escher. It is not for sale on Spoonflower yet. One must order sample before it can be offered and the most cost effective way to do that is by creating a Collection in different colorways, etc. I need to work on more colorways. This means dinners are gonna suck for a while, lol!
I'll share my process soon and hopefully you all will wow me with some fabrics that you create.
Do you use Spoonflower? Have you done a project with your fabric?

9 comments:

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

Kerry, These are fantastic!! Your art as fabric is so original and really really beautiful.

John J. Tackett said...

I have been waiting for an opportunity to inspire me for a Spoonflower project. Your mirror image technique is a great way to great a repeat without the issue of alignment. Looking forward to more of your great successes.

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Escher pagoda and your satsuki rain ideas for fabirc . please eat macaroni and cheese until you are finished as I would also love to buy some of these soon

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

kerry - that is UNBELIEVABLE. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I LOVE THE ESCHER PAGODA. Now to fit in some chinois somewhere in my tiny house, CUZ I NEED SOME OF THIS FABRIC

Anonymous said...

I'm with everyone above...I love the navy and white Escher pagoda. Gorgeous!!!

Unknown said...

This is so much fun. Amazing which paintings look better as a repeat pattern. I need to go down this hole, one day, when I have HOURS to spare! Love your Escher Pagoda: it's going to be a hit!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You are fantastic......

The Pink Pagoda said...

I was planning on spending some time on a Spoonflower project tonight. Your post has me so excited to get busy on it!! What you did is so fantastic! You're going to sell so much of your fabric : )

TammyVitale said...

ooooooooooooooooooooo my. who knew?!!!! I never even heard of Spoonflower before today - hours of play ahead (no! no! must go in studio and finish pieces!!!!!!) ooooooo. So many lovely things I don't know about and need to try!