Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend DIY fun


Today I did a quick project with some of my fabric scraps. I love these fabric coasters because they are absorbent, free, and don't stick to the bottom of your glass.
I made a set out of my leftover Brunschwig fabric a few months ago.
For some odd reason, my two year-old thinks they are evil and hides or throws them away. I only have three left. Here is how I made more.

I start with 5" x 5" squares of fabric and squares of interlining the same size. I have my drapery work room send me my scraps from projects. Patty always sends me a few extra bits too.
First you put the right sides of fabric together with the interlining on the outside. If you don't have interlining, flannel or felt will work.

Next you sew three sides about 1/8 inch in.

Turn it right side out and use a pencil or chopstick to poke the corners. They need help to be crisply pointy.

Its a lot like making a pillow. You turn your open edge in about 1/4 inch and topstitch the side. You can pin it or iron it if it helps. I am too impatient.


The final step includes topstiching the entire perimeter. This is where it is tough for my grandmother's vintage sewing machine. My seams aren't always perfect because of the thickness at the corners but they are just coasters after all.


I'm not crazy about matching things but I'm just hoping the little one does not think these are evil.

No comments: