Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Block printing

I have been wanting some simple block printed fabrics for something. I don't know what. I just know I really like them.
I saw some vintage Indian blocks in a store and I've been wanting some ever since.
A quick look around Etsy revealed it as a better source than eBay.

My first block print
I haven't actually made anything yet beyond a sample swatch and I am waiting for a second very tiny block that I think will be nice to fill in the areas between the larger design.

tiny block yet to arrive
not my hands
I don't know anything about traditional inks and techniques used, so some research is in order.
I used lightly thinned acrylic paint, let it air dry and heat set it in the dryer.

not me either
 I have visions of long bolts of beautifully stamped fabrics.



I think I'll start small. Maybe a pillow or tablecloth.
Have you ever painted or stamped fabric?

2 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I found your post in the comments over at LGN. I love the block print you chose. I just tried printing this past weekend on paper. I can't wait to test out my blocks on fabric. I look forward to seeing more your block print projects.

http://letsgoflyakiteuptothehighestheight.blogspot.com/2011/10/crafting-with-my-kids-indian-block.html

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I tried this and couldn't get it to look right. Yours came out so good.