Friday, April 27, 2012

Three things


I layered this ancient mirror that my grandmother used as a daily makeup mirror over my guest bath wall-o-mirror to make it a little more girly and welcoming.
My husband hates it. My son said "uh.... why is there a mirror on a mirror? huh huh..........huh"

What do you think?


Apparently, anything I would want for an outdoor cushion is unavailable for less than a gagillion dollars for four chair cushions, a settee and gliders plus throws. My solution is to scoop up every cheapie outdoor cushion that works for me and recover them in this fab Greek key outdoor fabric I got for about $9 a yard from Fabric.com. Hooray for Orange and Blue!


Poorly lit, but I am so excited to hang these and more in the library. One of the framed items is a hospital bill for my father in-law's birth. In 1929, two weeks in the hospital was standard and cost $74.50. Another is an invention by my husband's grandfather and the patent certificate.
I have the bill from my own birth in the 1960s but it is not so beautifully handwritten. Maybe I'll frame it too.

Would you frame and hang such things or do you only like purely decorative items?

7 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I like the idea of the mirror on mirror. Since I am short, I wonder if I would be looking into the center of the smaller mirror, or the frame? I love the orange and blue outdoor fabric. I want to frame more memorabilia, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Kim said...

I love the mirror on mirror!! I think it is a girl thing. My husband would hate it too! The memorabilia is fabulous ... I would hang it all if I had any!! I better start saving this stuff for my children!!

Anonymous said...

So sweet of you to hang the ancient mirror of your grandmother. I'm so short that I wonder if I could view myself in it? The frame is gorgeous!

I think it's a grand idea to frame old documents and letters. I have two antique, hand written, beautifully scripted, French letters that I would like to frame. I don't have the foggiest idea what they are writing about but I think they would look lovely framed. LOL

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Love the mirror!

Unknown said...

Love the mirror. I am also obsessed with greek key but haven't used any of it in my home--its about time ! love the orange and blue. Super idea about old family documents as decor..
Happy Weekend!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Woodside Park said...

Hi Kerry - Many thanks for your visit and comment on my new blog. Lovely to find you! Where in VA are you? Are you near the DC area?
I think your old certificates / bills are really awesome! Definitely frame and display them, as I love anything with history.
Cheers, Loi
Tone on Tone

Reggie Darling said...

I love the mirror on mirror. It looks rather Dorothy Draper-ish, and that's a compliment! Tell your son and husband that having style means that one can do the unexpected -- in your case, successfully! Reggie