Thursday, March 22, 2012

2 new paintings


 24 x 20 untitled abstract on clear primed cotton using gouache, acrylic and chalk pastel.
I have been wanting to paint on clear primed cotton for awhile and was waiting to get the clear gesso that I ordered online. In minutes I was stretching a canvas and priming like a kid on Christmas morning.
I think I will try to get a better photo in bright sunlight, the colors are not so muted.


16 x 20 acrylic on Canson board
This nude is listed on my portfolio page as commission work but it was for my mother and I don't think she likes it so it may end up on Etsy at some point in the future.

What do you think?  Go ahead be brutally honest. I won't take it personally or hate you if you say something negative.
Oh, and one more thing. I had to write an artist's statement because this...
  was accepted in a Regional juried show. Yay. I must say I felt really silly, and I mean really silly, writing an artist's statement but here it is.
Kerry Steele is a mostly self-taught artist and former interior designer. Her art professor Grandmother was an instructive and inspiring influence. Using mainly acrylics, oil pastels and graphite, she prefers to paint abstracts and nude figure studies in unusual colors. The unnaturally colored figures allow for exploration of shapes and shadow and abstractions of line. Her abstracts exhibit a strongly feminine feel and the palettes are inspired by current trends in interior design and women's fashion.
Whether fully abstract or figure painting, the tension as a composition unfolds and ultimate exhilaration when the final brushstroke has been made, keeps her playing with paint.


Have at it, folks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being accepted in a Regional juried show. I'm not well versed in art so you'll have to inform me on what that means?

I think your artist statement reads very well!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Congratulations!!! That is very exciting. And great job on your statement! I'm still wanting to talk about an abstract. My ADD keeps getting in the way!

A room with a view said...

I am impressed with the portraits. I think art is very subjective and to me these seem to reflect the mood of the subject - the first one is quite contemplative. New follower via the new spring into action party. Love art!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

kerry, I knew it would go well for you! OK, I am not sure what you are asking...I really like the first one. The second looks beautiful in blue and matches your statement perfectly. The last one is my favorite.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Kris- Thank you.The Regional show includes Central Virginia and the the Washington DC area but I am not sure where they draw the line. A juried show is when an accomplished artist or art professor is hired to judge and choose paintings for a show. Their choices are not only based on quality of work but on their whims and likes and how good their coffee was that morning.LOL! Basically you are at the mercy of their personal taste and their mood on top of having to paint something professional looking.
Good question.