Friday, February 22, 2013

Something old, something new, and a bunch of blue

I have been a painting fool lately and wanted to post a few completed pieces.
Some is much like other things but my new clear primed linen canvas is super exciting to me. I bought them in bulk because I have been wanting them for nearly a year and they are about 3 times the price of a normal canvas.
The point of a clear primed linen is to let the natural flax color show, so you do not cover the entire surface.
I have done two thus far.

"Two temples" 18 x 24 oil and acrylic on linen


"Dilletante social" 18 x 24 oil and acrylic on linen by Kerry Steele
I also used a bit of oil paint. It cracks me up that this paint is truly vintage. I found it in my grandmother's art supplies and the oil paint is still fine despite being at least 30 years old. I have also bought some just for kicks.


This is "Cake and eat it too" 20 x 20 acrylic on canvas by Kerry Steele

Sometimes I feel that I am being too careful. Sounds odd but careful is perhaps the wrong word. Stifled, is more accurate.
I have to remind myself that it is OK to go crazy. It is just paint and canvas and if it sucks, I am only out a few bucks and a few hours.

 This is "The chandelier I swing from..." 18 x 24 acrylic on canvas.
It is a good example of letting myself go and having fun translating onto the canvas, hence the title.
I had a similar painting in style a week or so ago...

"Six impossible things before breakfast"

and it sold in a hot minute. That was key in reminding me to trust myself.



15 comments:

Unknown said...

love love the linen flax look with the vibrant colors! Oh girl, you should trust yourself, cause it's winning big time over any insecurities you may have! You are soooo fortunate to be in the midst of living your passion! enjoy every stroke...
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Anonymous said...

Your work is so free! Gorgeous. And I love how you title your work. Magical!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

ohhhh i love that Dilletante social!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You are unbelievable! Your talent is awesome! You just keep letting go and create!

charmaine said...

Love the colors, love all of it!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love that the paint was still good. Let the hoarding continue...at least over at my house. I think "Cake and eat it too" is my favorite.

Windlost said...

Oh, I wrote a long comment and it was eaten by Blogger!

I was saying I love your paintings and especially the names. I really love "Six Impossible Things before Breakfast" but not sure where to put it (love love love the pinks and blues in combination). My favorite title ever was "buy some furniture and give the cat a name".

:)

Keep it up! xo Terri

An Urban Cottage said...

Really like the ones on flax. The color adds an immediate depth. There was a Cape Cod painter who painted on wood and the raw wood was used as a color in the painting, almost like using the white of the paper in watercolor. It was amazing.

I too love "Dilletante."

Tiffiany Shaw said...

Love the last two paintings! Keep trusting your instincts!

Vel Criste said...

I love both Kerry but love the blue more. So happy your paintings are selling, just wondering though, do you feel sad parting with them ? I know the point is to share the art, but maybe because I'm not as artistic as you that I may have trouble with parting with something I made! :-)

Karena said...

Kerry I am loving these; and isn't it great to paint on Linen...wish it were not so very expensive!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Series

Ryland Witt said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kerry...I really love your art! You have talent!

Pura Vida said...

So happy and uplifting work. Awesome talent!

Julia Ryan said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Such wonderful pieces my dear!