Friday, September 14, 2012

Shortcuts for sanity


This week my Mother in-law and her girlfriend came to visit for a day before departing for a beach getaway. Last night, they returned for another night before heading back to Pennsylvania.
Our steady stream of visitors has made us pros at feeding our guests in a manner that impresses them every time and keeps us from going insane.
The menus are decadent but super easy. Monday was filet mignon with bearnaise butter and pasta with shallot, thyme and truffle butter and a baby green salad. All of the gourmet butters were purchased at Wegman's grocery. If you do not have a Wegman's grocery near you, move.


Since there were 8 for dinner the grown-ups and the wee one ate in the formal dining room and we left the teens to the kitchen table. I chose my grandmother's Metlox California Ivy plates because they are a bit festive but also dishwasher safe. This pattern and others like it are widely available on eBay.
I used antique linen napkins, napkin rings, and silver.
The napkings were not pressed and starched so the collection of mismatched antique napkins rings solved that problem and lent a more casual feeling to the table.


Thursday night's menu was salmon stuffed with creamy lobster and roasted red pepper dip (another Wegman's purchase) so I used my fish knives which are also mismatched.


The table is slightly unfussy but a step above the everyday and the menu is secretly idiot proof but our guests always think we have gone out of our way to do something fancy. Win-win.

7 comments:

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

im on my way down for dinner :) btw - love that you said MOVE if you arent near a wegmans! the truth...

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Salmon stuffed with lobster....I need to come over for dinner. They are building a Wegman's near me now. I know nothing about them...but people are excited.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

That sounds pretty delicious, Kerry! I love to entertain family and friends - just need a floor in my dining room.....

Have a terrific weekend!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Kristie said...

What a hostess! Both dinners sound delicious and the casual but very elegant table setting with the white napkins and silver napkin rings put the finishing touches on the table. Sounds like it was a very lovely dinner. :)

Kim said...

I love mixing and matching my silver and linens ... I used to press my napkins ... I don't anymore! And I love that freedom AND look!! We have a Wegman's about 45 minutes from me ... I guess i need to make the trek! xo

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Kerry,
First time here. Love it! I knew I would the moment I read you are a Wegman's shopper. They are the HEAVEN of supermarkets. Our son did some work with the owners years ago in Rochester, New York. UNBELIEVABLE. On many an evening we went there for dinner. I found out later that they built a restaurant next to one of the larger stores....We are south of Atlanta and they never heard of them here....I would give anything to have one. I truly envy you!
Thanks for stopping in at Patty' Epiphanies. My favorite is the second painting also!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Kerry,
First time here. Love it! I knew I would the moment I read you are a Wegman's shopper. They are the HEAVEN of supermarkets. Our son did some work with the owners years ago in Rochester, New York. UNBELIEVABLE. On many an evening we went there for dinner. I found out later that they built a restaurant next to one of the larger stores....We are south of Atlanta and they never heard of them here....I would give anything to have one. I truly envy you!
Thanks for stopping in at Patty' Epiphanies. My favorite is the second painting also!