Thursday, February 9, 2012

Stress= Nostalgia

Coffee tables and sheepskin- think Ikea

After a particularly stressful day, I often long for the good old days.
Really old days if you're me!
I find memories of my family and the places we spent time very soothing.
Most of these interiors are not exactly like the ones I remember but there are some elements that are familiar from memory that resonate with my current sensibilities.

A silver tulip table would be nifty.

David Hicks London 1972
The lacquered walls, the art, the bureau as bar, its all then and now.


Yes, people actually had that carpet in 1972 and the chairs were a common sight. I included it because of the very au courant Tangerine.
I can just see my parents having fondue and a bottle of Lancer's Claret.


I believe this image is from the 1960s but could easily find its way in to a shelter mag today, no?


This is so horrible, but I think we had that TV. The sofa and carpet look sorta familiar too.
In many ways the 1970s visually sucked.


This kitchen is hard to look at but the Moroccan lattice on the cabinets is a familiar current motif.


I would really like an all white kitchen with Cararra marble subway tile backsplash but I'd take this groovy kitchen in a heart beat as long as I don't have to wear the jumpsuit.
For those of you who did not live through the early 1970s and really like some of the mod styling, beware. By the mid 80s we cringed every time we saw any of these things.
Still, they represent to me a simpler time when I was a child.

6 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Yeah, I never thought I would like it again...but now I do.

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

I like the throw caution to the wind vibe these room have. If you were feeling orange, you doused it on EVERY single surface, until you were rolling in it! Today we tend to decorate much more safely, with our larger pieces in neutrals, etc...

Karena said...

Kerry I love these images, reminders for me as well. We had a mural in the living room with paneling when a was little. Not for long thank goodness. I would love a tulip table NOW though!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I just gave you an award, check out my blog!

Anonymous said...

Well, I remember most of these images from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I really don't think anything can compare to the early 70's with the harvest gold appliances and avocado sculptured carpets. I even owned a set of the harvest gold appliances! I shudder now when I think about it!

To this day, I have a problem with those colors. I'm just now starting to like some shades of green...but never avocado...never! LOL

The Pink Pagoda said...

What a great, interesting post! I love David Hicks, and I'm wanting a tulip table!