Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday finds: fabric

Chiang Mai Dragon

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake. It never dawned on me that Etsy would be a good source for vintage and designer fabric. It is in the category "Supplies" which seemed like a much more boring category, so I never gave it any thought or explored until yesterday.

Vintage fabric fat quarters
The vintage fabric that I found really took me back to my childhood, reminding me of the smell freshly laundered sheets, open windows, and the sound of locusts in the summer. Pretty heady.
I just don't really have a project idea so I have not bought any.

Lee Jofa Ikat
 Much of the fabric comes in small amounts that lends itself to pillow making.

Schumacher silk damask
HERE
 
High end fabric abounds as does the grooviest of groovy vintage fabric.


Lilly Pulitzer

I had the idea to recover the much hated Indian pouf in a more pleasing fabric and I think Etsy might be the best source for something unusual.


With that idea, I went in search of more Ikat fabric and found a trove of real, woven not printed authentic Ikats.
The ones I am showing came from this shop.

 There are other sellers too. I found one with a pure silk multicolor chevron or flamestitch that was gorgeous but I can't seem to find it now.

Etsy seller Samarkand11 has many of these woven silk and cotton pieces. They are only 16-18 inches wide so they will not work for my pouf but I was thinking of a tablerunner--perhaps the easiest project there is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Wonderful fabrics. I look to Etsy for a lot of things. They are great source for supplies i.e. ribbons, twine, fabric etc. I've even found things on Etsy that you can't find anywhere else.

Love ETSY!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Yes, Etsy is fantastic for "supplies". Although, sometimes the seller thinks they are a retail store (price wise). Always a hunt!