Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Paintings, floors and chaos


I gave you a sneak peek at this a week or so ago. It is a 70 x 50 inch canvas that I did for the CR Laine showrooms during High Point Market 2016. I actually did quite a few special pieces for them.


I was given fabrics to coordinate with and free reign when it came to my ideas. It was a joy and also challenging but the two go hand-in-hand to me.
You can see a selection of my work for CR Laine on this page of my website or better yet, come to market!

Whilst this was going on my studio, that is still in my home, major tile work has been underway.
My dear husband did tile work right out of college with his brother in-law. They were meticulous. Lucky me.
Our house had 100% builder grade and ugly finishes. Last year I got new quartz counters in my kitchen and my tile guy installed the backsplash.


The floor was was much debated and the quicker solution than hardwood throughout was chosen to facilitate the move to Charleston.
Take a gander of the floors I lived with for 5 years.


It was always ugly but recently began to delaminate.
Our goal is to upgrade at a reasonable cost. Many of my choices would have been different were we staying but I was not willing to compromise on style and harmony. We are going for ROI not cookie cutter suburbia, yet cost was a consideration.
Welcome lovely new tile!


This warm gray tile paired well with the counters and the warm, mahogany colored cabinets. It also works beautifully with the Sherwin-Williams Repose Gray on the walls.


At less than $2 per square foot, it is a deal my husband, spent 9 days on the floor at a cost of about $700 in materials.
We love it!
It was not pretty process. Our fridge had to live in the foyer, and my large paintings were leaned wherever I could find a spot. The pantry was emptied onto the dining room floor and our kitchen table was in front of the TV. Oh and my kids in college came home for Spring break. In case the level of chaos is not apparent...


As I write this, my dear husband has finished a 13 hour day of tile work in our master bath (a blog post all its own just for the sheer crazy factor) Today was day 8 on said bath and tomorrow appears to be another 12-13 hours of backbreaking work for him.
Master bath goodness coming soon!

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Kudos to your sweet and smart husband. And to think you are leaving it all behind!!! When is the move? Love your work and the way you are rising in the art world. Well deserved.

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Oh my goodness! Such a huge undertaking! I think your hubby deserves some major kudos and maybe some time alone in his man-cave to recuperate! :)

Karena said...

Your new works of art are fabulous Kerri and congratulations!!
Does your husband hire out! Great job!

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

xoxo
Karena
Featuring Artist Scott McBee

Unknown said...

Looking fantastic Kerry and lucky you to have a hubby that can do it- tell him thanks from all of us, we know its hard work and harder to please a designer! xo Nancy