Thursday, June 12, 2014

Dream house dreaming part 1

With the summer vacation here, little ones play outside and teens are out and about. On Saturday morning I actually found myself bored. *Gasp!* I am never bored. I did what any self-respecting design junkie would do and browsed real estate listings.


It was not until I clicked entirely through several listings that I realized there are two Virginia treasures for sale. The first is Castle Hill, in Keswick Virginia and less than an hour from me.
I recognized it from My book by Kathryn Masson Hunt Country Style, a favorite.
The book states, " Castle Hill is one of the most magnificent and historically significant plantations in Virginia. It is located in Keswick on what was one of the first land grants in Albemarle County."

image Paul Rocheleau from Hunt Country Style

This image from the book differs from the MLS listing but I knew the hand painted walls were familiar.


This photo shows the original 1764 frame dwelling to which the grand Federal style brick house was added, thus changing the orientation of the house to face the mountains.
A bit more of the interior shows the grandest Virginia country life.





 The house is listed for $11,500,000 and the full listing is HERE
Join me for part 2 tomorrow to see an equally wonderful and related property.

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

11.5? is that all? :) What an amazing estate!! i love an afternoon spent on the mls.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous estate. You putting a bid on it? A girl can dream, Im right along there with you! xo Nancy

Lenny Lianne said...

OMG. Gorgeous rooms. I want.

An Urban Cottage said...

It's pretty amazing!