Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What was I thinking?


What was your biggest decorating misstep?
You know the purchase or modification to your house that later had you asking, "What was I thinking?"

I have had several but the one that stings the most is my idiot idea to modify a bed. My grandparents had an antique 3/4 size pineapple bed from the Tidewater region of Virginia and my grandfather had plans to modify it to a twin size because there was a gouge on the edge of the headboard. They offered it to me as a "big boy" bed for my then 15 month old son. I was thrilled and (here is the idiot part) asked him to cut down the legs because I worried that my little boy could not climb into a regular height twin.
He was my first child but even a new mom should know that they grow (more quickly than you think) and he would be able to climb in by the time he graduated from high school. He turns 19 next week and I am happy to say that he has mastered scaling the heights of a mattress but I have a ridiculous bed frame in my basement.

What are you still kicking yourself about?

9 comments:

Woodside Park said...

That is a special and beautiful heirloom!! You can always have it raised. Love your new blog header - so fresh!

Anonymous said...

Where to start with the mistakes . . . . All have been based on compromises with my husband. I should have taken firm control when we first got married, but when you are young and have no money. . . .

Kim said...

Oh my I've had so many because I jump in to my home projects feet first and come out on the other side wondering "what the hell?" ... yet, out of all these some pretty good things have come out as well!! You can still use that bed!!!

Unknown said...

Funny story! It is a beautiful heirloom. I regret not taking so many of the family pieces when my parents passed away. I was not wanting to be greedy and let my siblings have most of it, and now I wish I had kept some of those things that had huge memories attached to them. Hindsight...... xo Nancy

Unknown said...

Funny story! It is a beautiful heirloom. I regret not taking so many of the family pieces when my parents passed away. I was not wanting to be greedy and let my siblings have most of it, and now I wish I had kept some of those things that had huge memories attached to them. Hindsight...... xo Nancy

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Ha! I can sympathize with you. I bet you could have the legs fixed. It really is a beautiful bed. At least you didn't paint it. :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I have learned to just....move on. Once things that I have regretted are gone, I feel so much better. Don't spend more hours and $$ on things that make you feel bad.

home before dark said...

My late MIL had her dining table cut down to use as a coffee table and regretted it instantly. I have it now and use it as a coffee table and love it! I agree with Linda, it's usually better to have the big sigh/hissy fit and get rid of the offender than try to spend more time and money to convince yourself you can fix a problem you created. It's the Joan Rivers reminder: yes, too much it never a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Girl the list is endless! I have all kinds of crazy around my place. Keeps it interesting, right?!