Friday, May 3, 2013

New work and something different on paper

I have been having a blast with these triptychs on paper
I had the need for a larger piece of painting paper recently so I bought a pack of 10 Arches Aquarelle paper. Its lovely stuff that is not just for watercolor.



 I have been painting with oils on it too. I start by taping off my sections to be painted.
In order to paint with oils on anything, the surface has to be primed with Gesso.


From there I use thinned oil paint which makes for quicker drying.


I did a vertical and horizontal triptych as well as a conventional rectangle.
These will be matted also.


I can't tell you how much I am enjoying painting with oils but I have to dig very, very deep to be patient. They take so long to dry and making revisions to anything sometimes requires waiting several days. I am very impatient. Call me Veruca Salt because I don't care how, I want now when it comes to many things and painting is at the top of the list.

"Remembered blossoms" oil on canvas by Kerry Steele 24 x 30
 It took some digging this week not to rush this painting that I finished yesterday afternoon. Oils can take me a week or more to complete which is slow for me. I think its worth it.

I have gotten over my paranoia and taken my Instagram off of private. You may follow me and see lots of paintings in progress and the occasional plate of food. I am making a croquembouche next week and fail or triumph, it'll be there.

11 comments:

Kim said...

OH Kerry, I am not patient either. But your patience is paying off with these beautiful works! Love that "Remembered Blossoms!" I will follow you!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

BRAVO Kerry! I love that yellow/purple study. That's SO FUN!

Unknown said...

Youre a machine! I love it all. We need to catch up!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That's really cool. I like how the three are on one. Why were you paranoid? People stealing your art design?

Windlost said...

Stunning Kerry. I am in love with your work and your passion is inspiring! I am loving my colour theory class, but realize that art and colour are so instinctive if you let your brain out of the equation and just create...

xo T.

An Urban Cottage said...

LOVE the first three in purple!

Good luck with your croquembouche! I've always wanted to make that spun sugar part.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Oh, I love Remembered blossoms!
My brother, who is "playing" with art in his retirement, has just started working in oils. He's loving it!

Vel Criste said...

BEATIFUL WORKS again Kerry! LOVE, love the "remembered Blossoms"!!!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I completely understand the patience issue. These are so worth it though!!! Oh my -- just breathtaking!

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Beautiful. Totally understand working with oils - I too lack the proper patience. I even get frustrated with my water colors at times. I'm with Linda, what's with the paranoia? Did something happen?Inquiring minds, aka overly sharing Instagram mrs, wants to know.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! i like ir.
Modular Kitchen Collection