Thursday, May 3, 2012

AAAGH!

Edvard Munch "The Scream"
Have you heard? 
via AP    NEW YORK — One of the art world’s most recognizable images — Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” — sold Wednesday for a record $119,922,500 at auction in New York City.


The only painting to sell near this record price was Picasso's "Nude, Green Leaves and Bust" for $106.5 million.


 If you had to choose one, and only one iconic painting which would it be?

I'll give you my answer, but bear with me.
 While I truly love the post-modernists I will say that I would go with something from my childhood.
I have mentioned my grandmother, Meme, was an artist and art history teacher, many times before.
Painting by Lysie Iddings my grandmother

Well, my parents were still in college when I was born and we all lived with my mother's parents and my Meme took care of me mostly.  My grandmother began teaching art history at Northern Virginia Community College early in its history. 
painting by Lysie Iddings

When I was a tiny kid, 2  or 3 years old I went to class with her. I was given a "picture book" and asked to quietly look through it while she taught. I was a very quiet child, not the exhuberant and high spirited sort that I know, so I did sit quietly.
After class was over, I showed her my favorite, and believe it or not this is a very vivid memory for me but we sat and talked about Her....

Botticelli's Birth of Venus
I was explained the myth and symbolism. I adored the flowing hair and fabric and the shell was downright dreamy to a little girl like me.
I wanted it all. It was beautiful princess fantasy to me.
Fast forward to 1984. I was teenager on a school trip to Italy. Nothing prepared me for what I saw in the Uffizi gallery in Florence. 
I got off an elevator with  3 of my pals from the trip and saw...

Botticelli's "Primavera"
It was quite larger than life and I did not expect that it to be so huge. I never bothered to read silly details like size in inches, centimeters, or FEET!
They were enormous and encompassed much of one's visual field. That is is impact!
As I rounded the corner, I literally swooned and nearly fainted when I saw "Birth of Venus". It was so large and more beautiful than any photo in a book. I certainly was teary and embarrassed to let my friends see, but it was a "happening"!
And so, if I had a world of money and it were for sale I would buy Botticelli's " Birth of Venus" for the the warm fuzzy memory and the Wow! factor that I was not expecting.

Do tell, what would you buy? and why?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kerry, I LOVE your art posts! ( so me!!!) I would take the Picasso over Munch, since "The Scream" would not be a soothing -it looks neurotic or something. BUT, I would also take your grandmother's pieces over Picasso, since they mean a little more, and Im not a huge Picasso fan. I love the architectural painting she did...wow, so happy to see these.. My kids call me MEEM..didn't know that was used to refer to a mother/grandmother before..
Have a great day!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Anonymous said...

I don't know? I've never really thought about it. My taste has evolved over time and some of the artists that I loved have been replaced by others. I guess I don't really have a favorite. When I look at artwork it either jumps out at me or it doesn't. Guess I'm not an art aficionado! HA

Woodside Park said...

Wow! Thanks for the news...didn't know. I love anything from Vilhelm Hammershoi. Have a great weekend,
Loi

Karena said...

Kerry this sale was astounding..it is a renowned painting, even so.

There are several by Marc Chagall I would choose!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena