Well, I cant say that my weekend was a DIY failure but it was a frustrating and still incomplete exercise.
I started with this project that I saw on Little Green Notebook a few months ago.
The idea is that you take photos to Kinko's and have them blow them up on the blueprint printer. It is not fancy photo paper but it looks fine for this usage.
You mount them on 1/2 thick foam board and paint the edges. Actually,
you paint the edges first. The effect is a casual, modern look much like vintage news photos.
The first two I did were fine and the wall is huge so I went back with more photos.
The stars really lined up against me and as I trimmed one it just snagged and ripped despite a new sharp blade.
I had a small painting that is a gift and needed a mat so I put the photos aside and decided to cut mats.
I figured I would re-mat this block print
and maybe I could work it into the gallery wall.
First I cut a mat for the gift and noticed the corner was mangled...sigh.
I measured this print and frame and the margins were near 6 inches and my mat cutter only goes upp to 4 1/2 inches...double sigh.
I called Michaels to see if they would cut the mat out of the board I had and the short answer was no but they would let me cut it myself. Yay!
Somewhere between my house and Michaels a blob of yuck got on to the front of the mat which I had a devil of a time cutting with their enormous
After fooling with it rather sheepishly, as if I had no idea what I was doing, I turned it over and discovered the goo and proclaimed, "I give up!"
I paid $14 for them to cut it for me and I have not tried it to see if it is right yet. I am terrified that it will somehow be wrong.
I will continue to work on the installation... because the wall looks so stupid at the moment that I can't stand it.
I was a painting fool this weekend and that went well. Thank goodness for small mercies.
I hope all of you had a lovely weekend.