Sunday, March 24, 2013

New work

"Buy a ticket" 30 x 40 oil on canvas by Kerry Steele
In between working on commissions I always like to have something else to work on. All three commissions were for floral abstracts and love how relaxing those are to paint. I like to paint something with a different feel simultaneously to avoid a sort of "tunnel vision" and staleness to either style. It keeps me awake and focused.
 This 30 x 40 oil on canvas titled "Buy a ticket" was inspired by the retelling of this joke in Eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert. 

“There's a wonderful old Italian joke about a poor man who goes to church every day and prays before the statue of a great saint, begging, "Dear saint-please, please, please...give me the grace to win the lottery." This lament goes on for months. Finally the exasperated statue comes to life, looks down at the begging man and says in weary disgust, "My son-please, please, please...buy a ticket."

9 comments:

Vel Criste said...

It is absolutely stunning Kerry!!!!! I see the thought in the painting! you are a genius!

An Urban Cottage said...

I hope I can be honest.

I feel this one is missing some of the softer moments that "Library of Laughs" had as a counterpoint to the agitation or violence in it. I don't mean that to be critical because I'm excited by this direction you're taking and I've always felt to make a change you almost need to overshoot before you scale it back to perfect.

I'm happy that you're still pursuing this avenue.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I saw this in my browser and came right over. This is fantastic. Will you show the flower abstracts that you finished? I need to buy a ticket :)

Christina Baker said...

This painting has so much dancing life. Love this Kerry!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Kerry, I have to agree with Urban Life in that this is a departure from your more "calm" softer paintings, but I like it. A nice departure, but don't stay here too long.

Anonymous said...

I love it. It's beautiful!

hong kong property said...

do your part and everything will follow. an abstract painting that is full of life.

Unknown said...

Very fun! Love the colors, and the joke!
xo nancy
powellbrowerhome.com

Unknown said...

Very fun! Love the colors, and the joke!
xo nancy
powellbrowerhome.com