Wednesday, March 13, 2013

More scrips and scraps

dreadful late night photo
I had fully intended to bail with one photo (that will follow) and call "working on Spoonflower designs".
I have been doing that, but I have more importantly been exploring a theme with my painting and I would like to talk about it a little.
I realize that abstract expressionism is old school, 75 years or so, but in terms of art, every genre is re-explored. Joan Mitchell reexamined the great impressionists like Monet and Van Gogh.
I like to think that even my tiny foray into art can meaningfully (to me) revisit the greats.
I was egged on by this snippet from Seth Godin's blog...
 You’ve already won (or you’ve already lost). Right now, you can choose to do what’s in your heart, you can bring your real work to the world, instead of a lesser version, a version you think the market wants. After all, what do you have to lose?

When it feels like it’s hopeless or when it appears to be a lock, why not?

So you bring your true self to the work, your unadulterated effort, without negative self-talk and the sanding off of the interesting edges. Instead of compromise, you bring us vision.
 
So for me that means who the #^*% cares just paint something and see if it sucks or not. 
This painting is the beginning of something I want to explore. I want pretty (feminine) and ugly (masculine/violent) to act in harmony, instead of two separate forces juxtaposed.


This one is a baby step in that direction. I think that this is one of my better canvases. I titled it "Library of laughs"

 I once wrote about my first husband, who is now dead, having a "library of laughs" because he had so many that you could have written a language around their various meanings. I am so thankful for the children we had together and this spirit that gives us smiles...still.
So there it is Matthew... my wave

 Happier...
I picked up 6 pink roses at my local Aldi grocery and they are perfuming several rooms with their intense fragrance.
I'll be going back for more of those $4 roses tomorrow!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Explore away! That's what its all about, exploring your soul and experimenting. One can get caught between what sells and what you really want to do as an artist, and the best luck would be that everyone loves what you truly want to do, which looks to me like what's happening! Love your roses, you deserve them everyday!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

An Urban Cottage said...

I LOVE THIS PAINTING!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Sounds like the pep talk I give myself frequently - to try and be true to the style I love without worrying over whether everyone else will like it. Sweet tribute to your late husband.

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Your imagination comes through in pure beauty in your Art!
Your work is awesome.

Pura Vida said...

vibrant!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Love the colors you used...so pretty!

Kim said...

Kerry, no secret I love your art ... and if you don't keep exploring ... how will I know new things??? I mean that seriously, you bring new experiences to each of us through your art! Love seeing what you come up with! xo