Monday, July 21, 2014

Naugahyde and seek


If you are of a certain age you may have memories of "the chair", that hideous chair or collection of chairs in the school office. You always knew whoever was in that chair was in big trouble or waiting for their mother because they just threw up. It was a Naugahyde chair.

   
The chair
These indestructible beasts of vinyl were slippery when you wore pants and like duct tape on the backs of of your legs when you wore shorts. It came in a bazillion colors, the most popular of which seemed to be a green representing something associated with a terrible malady.

Who picked THAT color?

Could this stuff ever be cool? Well, maybe.



 Lest you think its all mod see the first photo and this.





Here's my confession: I own a vintage Naugahyde covered chair. It awaits a more grown-up kid before it gets recovered. It came from the US House of Representatives offices and I bought it because it is so rock solid that I can't lift it.

Do you remember Naugahyde fondly?

5 comments:

My Notting Hill said...

Just saw a turquoise blue naugahyde sofa at a consignment shop yesterday, it was pretty fab. I remember them well - especially in the summer when your skin would stick to them!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

there is something retro cool about them and I love the bizarre colors! Also schoolbus seats!

Vel Criste said...

Hahaha! Oh Yes! Actually our sofa and 2 chairs when I was a wee little gal was covered in a swirly yellow orange vinyl like this!

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

If I recovered alllll my furniture in it I would never have to worry about my kids messing it up! Except my thighs would stick to it when wearing shorts in summer, which might not be too comfortable....

Unknown said...

Not so fondly, but oh yes I'm intimately acquainted!