Thursday, April 17, 2014

ORC- Gallery wall and a curtain trick

This is such a fun party, Linda! If you aren't sure what I mean check out Calling it Home to see the past two week's One Room Challenge on Wednesday and the linking party on Thursdays.
You can also recap my week one and week two.
Be sure to check out all of the great work going on in other people's houses.
I am trying to visit them all!

First I have to show you the curtain trick. I think I have a sign on my back that only drapery workrooms can see and it says "Make the rod pocket whatever $#%%^& size you want. She won't send it back"
Mr. Designdumonde came up with this trick after I spent $1000 on curtains in the family room and the rod pockets were too big. You'd think I would stop using an out of state workroom. Nope, it happened in my daughter's room too. Here is the fix.

 Start with a zip tie.



Loop it around the rod. Slide the curtain back to the position you want the panel and tighten the zip tie. Cut off all but 1/2 inch.


You absolutely can't see this when its done and your curtains don't flop down the rod.
That man is a genius.

My daughter had several strings hung on her wall like clothes line and she use clothes pins to hang her artwork. This was over about five nail holes from things I had hung and she removed. I was really sick of the weekly change on the walls so I bought something designed to change often.


This hanging system from Stas was only $65 for all of the components. Its ala carte so you can really customize it for your needs. I chose the lightweight clear cords because that was all that was needed. There are heavy duty cords and hooks available too.



The idea was to hang framed items that she wants to keep ( I use the term "keep" loosely because it could disappear at her whim) coupled with her Etsy shop artwork hung with bulldog clips.


This isn't the final gallery wall setup. Its going to require a bit of trial and error to get everything how I  how she wants it.

Make sure to stop by next Thursday. I hope to have a cool DIY for week four, plus its Spring break so I am pretty sure week five is going to be tricky pull something out of my hat to show you.

 
Like Design du Monde on Facebook for blog updates
Like Kerry Steele Art on Facebook to see my latest artwork
Follow me on Instagram to see paintings in progress


30 comments:

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Great drapery tip! I love simple yet effective fixes.

Linda Pakravan said...

genius drapery trick! Great hanging system, I'll have to take a look.

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Lookin' cute! Neat gallery wall hanging system!

Kim said...

Well, great trick, great art … but more importantly GREAT CHEVRON!! xo

SHERRY HART said...

Brilliant! They look so much better....love the pattern for the curtains by the way:)

Vel Criste said...

GENIUS Kerry! Thanks for sharing that great and easy tip! the Stas system is also perfect for your budding artist!

Unknown said...

Love that hanging system! Perfect for commitment-phobes like me! As for the flopping curtains--that is too funny that you posted about this today! I had the same problem, so I bought clear hair claw clips from CVS yesterday to gather and grab them at the top--also works like a charm! Looking good over there!!! Xo!

Anonymous said...

Love the curtains! And can't wait to see the DIY project you have going on for next week!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Cool!!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Genius.... I have "fought" the rod pocket-slide game for years. Thanks for the perfect solution!

Unknown said...

thanks for the great hubby tip! oooooooh how I love that fabric too! dana

Karena said...

Great tips Kerry and I love your chevron curtains!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Angela, Blue i Style said...

I love your gallery wall solution! What a great compromise for the two of you!

Carrie said...

Handy tip! The drapes look great! And I really like that hanging system for her art! :)

Krista @ Goodwill Glam said...

What a great tip! I'm loving the art in this room as well!

XO,
Krista
www.goodwillglam.com

Stacey {steward of design} said...

Great tip for the curtains and love the chevron!

aquahaus said...

Thanks for the quick tip! Sweet! Love the curtains.

Tricia said...

oh those are great tips! I've got to check out that gallery wall system.
Tricia // Suburban Bitches

Andrea said...

Such a clever solution! I love the curtains!!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Kathleen said...

Your art display system. It will be nice to have a gallery wall that's flexible!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Hi Kerry, seriously one of the best drapery tips ever!! I am filing that one in the brain. I can't wait to see this room done -- I love an artist's space ;-) I have two girls who are artists, and they don't keep their rooms clean, even when I make them over!!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That zip tie thing is brilliant. I need to remember that. I also like the hanging system, what a great find. Looks really great.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That zip tie thing is brilliant. I need to remember that. I also like the hanging system, what a great find. Looks really great.

Unknown said...

What happy draperies! Love the yellow and the zip tie tip. Have a great Easter! xo Nancy

Unknown said...

Very clever rod pocket fix! Thanks to Mr. Designdumonde. And what a great idea for the ever changing gallery wall.

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

I am super impressed- nice DIY

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

I am super impressed- nice DIY

kate@willowinteriors said...

Just catching up on my ORC challenge addiction. Amazing tip and what a fabulous hanging system!!

Tiffany said...

Ok, that zip tie trick is genius. I'm so using that. Thanks!

Connie in Hartwood said...

I am absolutely going to use your zip tie trick on my dining room drapes! Thank you!!