Monday, April 22, 2013

Antiquing on eBay


I don't know what made me think of it, but I looked around and realized that a fair portion of my decor was found on eBay. 

The top five antique prints were from eBay
Almost every room in my house has something from eBay. I was an eBay junkie 15 years ago. I was amazed at how much people would spend to buy collectibles that I had had packed up for years. In turn, I began snapping up interesting Asian antique textiles.
It has been my go to choice for specific antiques ever since.
A few years ago I finally figured out that I could narrow my results by mileage from a zip code. That helped me with my first eBay furniture purchase, the end tables and coffee table in my living room.


I get so excited when I get a real bargain too. This Brunschwig "Le Lac" fabric was an eBay score along with the Brunschwig " Les plaisirs des Indochines" that is on my dining room chairs.
 
 
Buying furniture on eBay is not for the faint of heart. I recently bought my desk on eBay and picked it up locally which dodges some of the problems with buying online.
My desk a local eBay purchase

These chairs were an eBay nightmare. They were a little unusual and that is why I liked them but they were upholstered in a red fabric with huge dragonflies. The idea was to have them reupholstered but thanks to Greyhound shipping literally throwing the chairs, I had a bigger problem on my hands.


Luckily, I had just found a furniture repairer that was excellent. I have not had the nerve to try it again.

I have had better luck with antique lighting


and rugs
 
 
With the exception of one overseas,unscrupulous art dealer, I have had great luck with buying art on eBay too.

 
Over the years, eBay has become a safer place to buy but you still need to do your checking into seller ratings and trust your gut.
Do you eBay?

4 comments:

Vel Criste said...

A lot Kerry! Haven't bought any furniture yet, just little things and of course, I bought those bubble necklaces from China there too! :-) Love your desk the most. :-)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I do buy on Ebay. In fact, I just bought another Turkish rug, a pulley, and a Kantha quilt. The quilt has not arrived yet, so no word on that one. The others are great. I love that rug that you bought. I don't think I would do furniture because of the exact experience you had with those chairs.

Unknown said...

I've had great luck buying things on ebay. When we were restoring historic homes a few years back, I bought almost all of my antique lighting on ebay. Also got a pretty oriental rug, antique tile and some wonderful fabric deals!

Unknown said...

Nice article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some pics of some gadgets.
oriental rugs for sale